At the RSPCA, we’re working hard across the country to protect the welfare of all creatures, great and small. August is a special time for us, as the month of our annual Cupcake Day fundraiser!
All over Australia, people will be baking delicious treats and hosting morning/afternoon teas with their colleagues, friends and loved ones to raise funds for RSPCA shelters and for the numerous rescue animals in our care.
And the best thing is, with RSPCA Approved eggs on supermarket shelves, you can bake Cupcake day goodies while also supporting layer hen welfare.
Rohde's Free Range Eggs have been producing humanely farmed RSPCA Approved eggs for well over a decade - putting hen welfare at the heart of their business. Rhode’s free-range hens live their best lives, with access to all the things they need to be happy and healthy.
The lovely Ange from Rhode’s has shared her special chocolate cupcake recipe for you to whip up for Cupcake Day!
Ange’s Super Delicious Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (45g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large RSPCA Approved eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable or canola oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
- frosting: chocolate buttercream
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Line a second pan with 2 liners – this recipe makes about 14 cupcakes. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently whisk for a few seconds. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until *just* combined; do not overmix. The batter will be thin.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the liners. Fill only halfway (this is imperative! only halfway!) to avoid spilling over the sides or sinking. Bake for 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost cooled cupcakes however you’d like. Top with sprinkles!